Posts Tagged ‘heating’

March 2014 – Part 1

Quite a lot going on this month (now writing in present tense!) As I write this we’re just over halfway through the month. It’s all going on, inside and outside the house. I’ll split March into several blog posts. This post, I’ll split into two sections – inside and outside.

Inside the house

The screed is drying nicely so it’s now ok to walk on. The stud work for the downstairs study, cloakroom and utility has gone up, so we can now get an idea of the final layout of the house. We made a couple of tweaks to one of the sections of stud work, to improve the flow through the house. In the entrance hallway, we were all in agreement to take a corner of the stud work of the cloakroom off. It makes the space a lot more useable, without really sacrificing any space in the cloakroom. I think it’s important to be on site to see these things, as it didn’t seem an issue looking at the plans, but when on site, we mocked up the planned position of the wall, and it just didn’t look right.

IMG_2120 IMG_2121

Sean, the electrician was on site doing his first fix, running all the necessary cables. I think even Sean was surprised at the amount of cable that went into the house for the first fix. We’ve opted for LED down lighters in the kitchen, bathrooms and man cave, and standard lighting everywhere else, to try and keep the cost down a bit. We also had a meet up with the guys from Aperio Audio Visual, Craig and Chris and talked through my requirements for the home cinema set up. The set up will also include all the cabling to each TV, along with a speaker system in certain areas of the house that can be zoned.  I’ll try my best to make sure this is all rigged up ready for the house warming party!

More insulation to be done, in all the roof spaces with fibreglass insulation, a horrible task, so I thought it best to delegate that part to my trusty right hand man (thanks Colin!).  Because we’re having open eaves, we had to stuff the insulation into all of those gaps as well. Back up on the top floor, we finished off fixing the ply to the inside of the trusses, this acts as extra bracing, then another 50mm of Recticel insulation was fixed to that ply, ready for the plasterboard.

We ‘dry fitted’ the shower trays so we could fit the waste pipe work to each of them. We’ve just got a days work left doing all the odds and ends ready for it to be dry lined. Hopefully by the time I next write, the rain water harvesting system would’ve been delivered then that’s everything done for the first fix plumbing.

Outside the house

A good tidy up was needed out the front of the property to clear space for the ground workers to return to dig the trenches for the BT and electricity cables to be run. This required moving another few tons of stone out of the way that we’ve got remaining to build our retaining wall out the back.

IMG_2057 IMG_2058

The second pic (believe it or not) is the ‘after’ clean up shot. There were a few pallets of stone there before we got stuck in! Our little helper getting stuck in as well.

Once the trench was back filled we could get it looking a little bit more like a house, and get shot of some of the unsightly fencing.

IMG_2116 IMG_2115 IMG_2119

The drive got it’s layer of scalpings, which made parking a lot less muddy!

IMG_2140 IMG_2141

The garage floor was also completed at the same time, so that’ll come in handy as bit of extra storage. It’s slowly starting to look like our home!

Next time – more work on the first fix inside for the cabling for all the TVs and the conservatory gets fitted too.

If you’re interested in building your own home, or need any advice from planning issues to renewable energy, be sure to check out http://theselfbuildsite.com

theselfbuildsite.com

Thanks for reading – see you next time.

Dom.

Advertisements

January 2014 (cont.)

On to a bit of plumbing. With most of the stud work now complete, we could crack on with laying the underfloor heating for the first floor. This is made up of an ‘overboard’ system supplied by www.wundafloorheating.co.uk  Very easy to fit, just a bit fiddly to cut the boards to make the tricky pipe runs.

Image

ImageImageImage

A sheet of 6mm ply is then fitted over the board and the pipes. Ready for the carpet to be laid later on.

A couple of pics from the attic rooms now, the ‘man cave’ now has all the stud work in place, including the stud wall that will house the TV and all the other electrical wizardry. We also thought it’d be a good idea to put one of the extractors for the heat recovery system in there (behind the stud wall that houses the TV) as it’s bound to get quite warm with all the various pieces of equipment.  My wife has now claimed the other room as hers, so the rooms are all now spoken for!

ImageImage

The Mechanical Heat Recovery and Ventilation Unit is a bit of a beast, it’s going to have a large cupboard all to itself! Should be tucked nicely out the way though – looking forward to connecting that up as I’ve not done one of these units before.

Most of the first fix for the plumbing work is now done, approximately 70% of the way through it. The last bit to do is fit all of the ground floor underfloor heating. But before we can lay all the pipe work for that, we need to lay a thick damp proof membrane, followed by 150mm of insulation, then a vapour check barrier, THEN the pipe work can finally be laid! This will all happen next month – stay tuned as we’ll nearly be up to date – wooooooooooooo.